Vladimir Petrov Memorial - 2014
Vladimir Petrov Memorial - Jurmala, Latvia, February 21-23, 2014
Latvian Railway Open
Latvian Railway Open, 28-30 March 2014
CHESS CONGRESS DRUSKININKAI 2014
Paul Keres Memorial Festival - 2014
A-Tournament - for everyone - „International Paul Keres Memorial Tournament“
Paul Keres Memorial - 2014
THE PRELIMINARY TOURNAMENT - Swiss system 7-round rapid chess (15+15 minutes + a 5-second increment) tournament in one group. Tie-breaking: Buchholz method (the sum of the final scores of the opponents). For further tie-breaking, the score of the weakest opponent is eliminated from the overall Buchholz score, after that the scores of the two weakiest opponents and so on. Tournament is part of the yearly series of rapid chess events organized by the The Estonian Chess Support Organization.
THE MAIN TOURNAMENT - 9-round rapid chess (15+15 minutes + a 10-second increment) roundrobin tournament. 5 participants gain the entrance from the preliminary tournament, 3 - personally invited from abroad and 2 - from Estonia. Tie-breaking: Berger system.
BALTIC CHESS GRAND PRIX OPEN
Chess weekend in Kaunas, 6-8 December, in hotel Daniela**** (A. Mickevičiaus g. 28, Kaunas).
Chess in Schools: Estonian experience and Latvian opportunities (video)
Chess in Schools:
Discussion: Jekabpils, 10 November 2013
Vitālijs Orlovs, LR Saeimas deputāts
Dr. Yuri Agafonov, Professor
Chess is becoming the new favourite lesson for Estonian schoolchildren
Аuthor: Riho Liiva, riholiiva (at) hotmail.com
The pilot project on teaching chess at school that started last autumn in Estonia became so popular that this year chess will be taught already in at least 35 schools involving more than 1,500 children.
The impact of chess at school was studied in a survey that included 100 schools in New York. Of 3,000 students who participated in the study, those who attended chess lessons also did best in math and native language. Teaching chess also improves attendance, as shown by analyses conducted in schools in Johannesburg (South Africa) and São Paulo (Brazil).
In November 2011, the international programme on introducing chess into schools that was launched by Garri Kasparov received strong endorsement also from the European Commission. Several European countries are now planning to start teaching chess at schools.
In the autumn 2012, about a dozen schools in Estonia launched a pilot project for teaching chess at schools which involved 650 students, mainly second-graders. The pilot project was co-financed by Garri Kasparov’s charitable donations collected through simul chess exhibitions and by other chess players. The pilot project was so successful that it is now also supported by the Ministry of Interior, which finds that chess is good for children’s development, and helps to prevent youth problems related to lack of hobbies. As a result, the project already involves 35 schools and more than 1,500 students.
“Estonians have always loved chess and have been very successful in chess, which is why it‘s no miracle that chess study has started so successfully,” explained Kasparov. “The success of the programme is also shown by the fact that children who started to study chess last autumn have become active young chess players and now attend chess classes,” added the chess legend.
The chess study programme developed by the Kasparov Chess Foundation is targeted at schoolchildren aged from 8 to 16. In the Estonian pilot project, chess lessons were started in the youngest age group. Under the programme, chess teachers are not required to have in-depth chess knowledge or special education and will be trained by the foundation.
“Children love chess so much that they even play it during recess,” said Margit Brokko, coordinator of the “Chess into Schools” programme. Speaking of the benefits of chess lessons, Brokko says that they include developing one’s cognitive skills such as critical thinking, improving focusing and sense of discipline, helping imagination, developing problem-solving skills and creating a positive competitive spirit. Chess-players also learn how to take responsibility for their decisions.
Invitation for nightmarechess.com chess tournament series with cash prizes
In order to develop and popularize chess vortal nightmarechess.com, from 1st until 7th of December every night at 20:00 Latvia local time (GMT + 2:00) online chess tournaments will take place with free attendance to all players. Time control 3 minutes plus 2 seconds for each move made. The number of rounds depends on the number of participants.
Nightmarechess.com administration may participate in tournaments without competition for prizes.
Malpils Municipality Council Rapid Chess Tournament
Place and time
Janis Mileika Memorial 2013
Place and Time
Latvian Chess Academy
Author: Juri Agafonov
Coaching of chess players has rich and long traditions in Latvia. World champion Mikhail Tal, eminent chess players Aron Nimzowitsch, Hermanis Matisons, Vladimir Petrov and Alexei Shirov grew up and were trained by Latvian coaches. The famous Latvian coaches were Alexander Koblencs and Aivar Gipslis. Now the Latvian chess trainers are successfully working in Germany, the Czech Republic, United Arab Emirates and other countries.
One day traning workshop will be made by GM Alexei Shirov and GM Arturs Neiksans of Latvian Chess Academy during 3.Chess Days of Jekabpils chess trainer Janis Mileika.
Masters class will consists of:
Classes will be held at Jēkabpils Sports Center (289 Brivibas str., Jekabpils, ph. (+371) 6523 1535) .
There are no age or chess qualification limitations. Number of participants is restricted.
Entry fee is Ls 7.00 (or € 10 )
Accommodation recomended is: Hotel " Varpa " (located at the Sports Centre , ph. +371 6523 6924 ) , prices from Ls 5.00 or in hotel " Daugavkrasti " (ph. +371 2948 0662 ) .
Participants have possibibility to play free of charge in table tennis tournament on the previous evening from 19:00 of 9 November (after J. Mileika 3.Memorial tournament ).
Sigulda District Open Rapid Chess Championship 2013
Place and Time
"F I R S T S A T U R D AY"
IX Baltic School Chess Festival
IX Baltic School Chess Festival was held in 5 star Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, 24 Kugu street, Riga, Latvia from August 25 (day of arrival) until August 31 (day of departure) 2013. Festival organizer The Children and Youth Center “Daugmale”.
- 28.08.2013 17:00 - International Blitz Tournament, Swiss system, 11 rounds. Time limit: 3 minutes per game per player + 2 seconds per move.
Panevezys Open 2013
26 th International chess tournament Panevezys Open 2013
RIGA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OPEN 2013
The III International Chess Festival „RIGA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OPEN 2013” - August 5-11, 2013, Riga Technical University (Kalku street 1). Three main ELO tournaments and an additional blitz tournament; the total prize pool of the festival - 10 230 LVL.
International Chess Festival “Vidzeme Summer”
2nd International Chess Festival “Vidzeme Summer” - LIMBAŽI, Latvia, July 25-28, 2013 (Children, Blitz and Open rapid tournaments)
Sea Festival - 2013
ADRESS: LITHUANIA, city Klaipėda, str. Laukininkų 28 (sport hall in school „Pajuris“)
International chess tournament „Plunge 2013”
47th Ilmar Raud Memorial
BALTIJA CUP 2013
New Free Online Chess Server
We would wish to inform you about a new free online chess server - www.nightmarechess.com. It is available in three languages – English, Russian and Latvian.
This new chess server uses the already fairly well known chess software – Nightmare Online (Crafty Chess GUI was developed using it as a base). It now comes with two new editions – for Android mobile devices and for playing directly from browser using Java.
Some features of this new server:
- ratings are divided in three types – one for super blitz, one for blitz and one for standard time control (more than 14 minutes per game)
- there is possibility to renew lost connection within 5 minutes - this if for any type of problem – temporary Internet connection loss, electricity failure, computer crash etc. – just login using the same nickname again and you will be taken directly to your game (presuming there is still time left on your clock) – this also gives possibility to continue your game, if you have an Android device - in case you have to go somewhere in the middle of a game (just login with Android and your connection in computer will be automatically closed)
- you can test the interface and server without registering – including playing against bots, other unregistered users or opening an unrated game – for example you can begin playing Java version just with a few mouse clicks – just skip entering your nickname when you press [Login]
- we have serious measures against online cheating using computer help – now you can play without serious worries about having to play against computers impersonating humans – and if you will have to play a game or two like this the cheater will be caught as soon as possible and marked as bot – he will be able to continue playing but not participate in the rating list as well as he will show up as a computer player
- additionally against cheating will help possibility to observe any game and report any cheater or watch record of any previously played game – including seeing what clock was showing for every move
- the server also offers possibility to test your skills against strong but beatable computer opponents – they are clearly marked as such so you don’t have to play against them thinking they are humans – they also don’t participate in the official rating list of the server
- we offer fast and easy registration process and possibility to quickly learn how to play chess from our site – this includes short and clear chess rules and guidelines and a possibility to turn on legal move display
- we also offer simple and comfortable chess analysis software – based on the famous Crafty chess engine by Dr. Robert M. Hyatt – this software also provides possibility to attach any external Winboard or UCI engine – both for analysis, playing against it or setting up computer matches
- in future we plan to run online tournaments – there is already some initial steps taken to provide this possibility
-Windows stand-alone client application Nightmare Online also provides a cool 3D board which you can easily rotate using your middle mouse button or keyboard arrow keys
Lev Braschinsky Rapid Chess Memorial Tournament
Third Lev Braschinsky Rapid Chess Memorial Tournament - March 16, 2013 in Viljandi Paalalinna School (Paala tee 46, Viljandi, Estonia, http://paalalinna.ee/?page_id=106, beginning at 11 AM. Free parking nearby). FIDE rules, 8 rounds with 15 minutes + 5 additional seconds for each move for each player, using Swiss pairing system.
Vladimir Petrov Memorial - 2013
Vladimir Petrov Memorial - Jurmala, Latvia, February 15-17, 2013